The Smith Stearns Tennis Academy Scholarship Fund
The Smith Stearns Tennis Academy Scholarship Fund, established in 2006, was designed to assist qualified students with the costs associated with training upon acceptance at the Smith Stearns Tennis Academy. The Academy believes in a personal approach to meeting every player’s training and fitness needs, including scholarship assistance for a limited number of participants who meet the scholarship eligibility criteria.
The Smith Stearns Tennis Academy Scholarship Fund gives families and friends of the Academy an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of future student athletes. As you can imagine, there are talented young players who wish to join the Academy but who do not have the financial resources needed to advance their tennis career.
Community Foundation of the Lowcountry
The Smith Stearns Tennis Academy Scholarship Fund is administered by the Community Foundation of the Lowcountry. The Community Foundation is a 501(c)(3) local nonprofit organization dedicated to building and strengthening the regional communities of Beaufort, Colleton, Hampton and Jasper Counties. The Community Foundation is the largest source of unrestricted philanthropic resources in the Lowcountry, securing more than $73 million since 1994.
Scholarship Eligibility, Awards & Selection
To be eligible for consideration, applicants must meet the following criteria:
• Demonstrate financial need
• Be a ranked player
• Show evidence of potential and dedication
• Show evidence of long-tern educational and athletic goals
• Exhibit outstanding personal character traits, including a strong work ethic
• Work well in team settings
The scholarship awards may cover any of the following expenses:
- Academy costs, including full-time and summer camp
- Private lessons
- Travel and tournament costs
- Educational tuition fees
When selecting recipients, an equitable needs analysis is performed, including:
- Review of federal tax return information for the applicant and the applicant’s parent(s)/guardians
- School and Student Service (SSS) Financial Aid Forms
- Support from other scholarship sources
- Individual applicant and family circumstances, such as family size, income and assets
To donate by check, please make checks payable to:
The Community Foundation of the Lowcountry c/o Smith Stearns Tennis Academy Scholarship Fund.
Please mail to: CFLC, P.O. Box 23019, Hilton Head Island, SC 29925.